Hey nursing mamas,
If you are looking for a good recipe for lactation cookies you have come to the right place. Karith from justmommies.com has created something delicious! Whether or not you need to produce more milk these cookies are hit.
3 cups of steel cut/ old fashioned oatmeal
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 and 1/2 cups of brown sugar
1 cup of chocolate chips (I prefer the milk chocolate morsels)
1 cup of butter (I prefer salted)
4 table spoons of water
2-4 tablespoons of Brewers Yeast (be generous)
2 tablespoons of Flaxseed Meal (I’ve used plain and the milled Flaxseed from Trader Joe’s with blueberries)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of baking soda (yes like Arm & Hammers)
Preparation time is around 15-20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350F.
1) Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes.
2) Cream (beat well) butter and brown sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well.
3) Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the butter mix. Beat until blended.
4) Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips.
5) Add to butter mixture. Stir in oats then chips.
6) Scoop or drop onto baking sheet. The dough is a little crumbly, it might be easier if you use a scoop- I just use a spoon- no need to get too fancy.
Bake for 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies. Makes approximately 6 dozen cookies.
*Again, I can only vouch for myself, but this definitely increased my milk supply and it was a delicious treat that was easy to make. A HUGE plus when you’re crazy busy with a newborn.
**Where to Get Brewers Yeast
You can get brewers yeast from health food stores, or in the health food isles of supermarkets. It’s a bit cheaper to buy brewers yeast from supermarkets than from health food stores.
As Paula Deen and I would say, HAPPY NURSING Y’ALL!!!